COVID-19 is the worst health crisis we have had in over 100 years.
Yet on May 28 the Ford Government rammed through a bill - Bill 184 - that will make it easier for landlords to illegally raise the rent and evict renters.
As of July 6, Bill 184 has been ordered for Third Reading pursuant to the Order of the House. A vote is likely to be called the week of July 20.
Find out more about the anti-renter Bill 184, and how it could impact you by reading my summary of the bill.
During this pandemic and beyond, this is what renters really need:
- Real protections from eviction so renters can keep our homes even if we can’t afford to pay rent during the pandemic.
- Real rent control on all units, including vacant units.
- Protection from illegal evictions by bringing in real fines for landlords who illegally evict, and proper enforcement of the law.
This is our city. We have a right to live in affordable and safe homes.
1) Call Premier Ford and the Minister for Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark.
Instructions on how to call Minister Clark and Premier Ford to tell them you oppose Bill 184:
Who do I call?
The office of Minister Clark, Minister for Municipal Affairs and Housing - 613-342-9522
The office of Premier Ford - 416-745-2859
What do I say when I call? (If no one answers, leave a message!)
My name is (insert name) and I live in (add city). I am calling because I want you to vote no on Bill 184.
Bill 184 is going to make it easier for landlords to evict tenants and for landlords to illegally raise the rent. As a renter, I am already paying too much for housing. Housing is a human right.
I want Doug Ford to bring in real rent control, proper eviction protections for those of us that can’t pay rent during the pandemic, and real fines for landlords that illegally evict tenants.
2) Contact Premier Ford and the Minister for Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark using this form telling them to truly help renters get through this pandemic and beyond.